Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shaping Up Nicely

Last night, I nearly had a nuclear meltdown.  I don't remember the details clearly (funny how hindsight is so much more mellow than the moment), but it involved a culmination of paying too many bills, two meltdown-prone boys, a dirty kitchen, serving as a crash pad for jumping-son, overdone muffins, etc etc etc.  

And my husband, though contributing to my meltdown, also became my Rescuer.  He shared what he'd been pondering on his drive home, that in the midst of a sermon series, it's the topic of the series that gets attacked in our personal lives.  Our current sermon series?  Family!  Yay!  (You can follow along with this wonderful series here.)  My favorite quote of his from that conversation was, "Ahh (snap!), you are SO under attack!"  But you know what that means?  I as a mom and we as a family are actively moving toward what God desires for us; otherwise, there'd be no reason at all for the devil to bother over us.  Our family poses a threat to the schemes of the devil.  So, hooray!  I can rejoice through these meltdown-prone seasons!

Anyway, that was last night's grace after a hard day for me.  And today began with the reminder that indeed His mercies are new every morning!  Today has shaped up nicely: 


I took the time (was able to take the time) to cook myself an omelet (bacon, red pepper, and cheddar), which I enjoyed with one of last night's muffins and a mug of c-boost fruit smoothie.  Lewis thoroughly enjoyed it with me.  My body felt nice and cared for!  












Instead of constant brother-battles in the living room, I successfully convinced Lincoln to relocate his "tower" to the piano top, and scored a stretch of time during which the boys actually played together WHILE enjoying each other's company!










Before 9:00am, supper was in the crock pot.  A feat, indeed!









Later on, nearing a dish-washing disaster (because Lincoln wants the whole sink in which to play with "boats," and mommy requires at least half the sink to, you know, wash dishes), I spied our neighbors outside playing in the snow with their grandkids!  Lincoln immediately abandoned his boats and tried to get their attention by yelling "Hi!" at the dining room window.  I promptly went over to ask if I could bundle him up to join their play.  What a delightful addition to Lincoln's day!  



          Lincoln's new buddies:











The (fundraiser cookie dough tub) cookies I took over to share with the kiddos after they got cold and retreated inside.









Lincoln pointing out the snowman they all teamed up to build together (actually, I think it was mostly crafted by gramma and grampa...).  






And, I didn't get a picture of it, but Lincoln wanted to read his naptime stories in mommy and daddy's bed, which was (mostly) lovely.  And Lewis spent all of storytime on the bed with us and did not fall off (he did drop a book and mommy's hairclip behind the headboard, and rip mommy's glasses off her face over and over, and never spent more than 7 seconds staying still...but we're working on it!).


Altogether a full-day reminder that my gracious God loves to both chisel this mommy's character AND pour out the blessings of just enjoying her wonderful family.

1 comment:

  1. You witnessed first-hand how God, who allowed fifty-eleven trials in your day, also let you see His goodness fifty-eleven times plus one.

    ReplyDelete