Friday, December 5, 2014

Sometimes It Would Be Nice...


Sometimes I think about how wonderful it would be to have a full day to do nothing but spa-pamper myself.  In most ways it seems like a total waste of time and/or money, or at least impractical--I mean, I shave my legs and they're already stubbly the next day.  Hair grows (everywhere), polish chips, muscles tense, skin dries, on and on.

But what a day that would be, to just feel PERFECT.  With a friend or two, I could exercise, running or swimming or doing yoga (or all of that) and feeling all limbered up, then head to a hot jacuzzi tub filled with bubbles and emollients and drink a gallon of cucumber-lemon water.  I could wrap up in fluffy-white Turkish cotton robes, and relax in a heated recliner while my feet and hands experience the best mani-pedi of my life.  I could--heavens!--get waxed, eek!  I could lie down and have my body returned to perfect alignment and my muscles rubbed into happy submission while I just let my skin feel and my brain wander around in sleepy contentment.  My hair could receive a deep conditioning, a cut and (low-maintenance) style to perfectly complement my features, and then a true Hollywood makeup artist could do the sort of before-and-after magic that transforms a normal 50-year-old face into a cover girl masterpiece.  And then I could choose The Dress, the perfect gorgeous dress for me, along with the shoes, the jewelry, the bag...and spend a night out on the town with my hubby for the best date night of our lives.  Something like a world-class gourmet restaurant and Broadway show should be included in that.  Oh yea, and all day long before this, healthy, light, organic and super-tasty little meal snacks would be served so my insides feel as good as my outside.

One day, every now and then.

Queen Esther had an entire year of such treatment, and it wasn't just for the sake of her face; she won the heart of the king and changed the course of history, because she used her God-given beauty courageously.

And the young woman pleased (Hegai) and won his favor.  And he quickly provided her with her cosmetics and her portion of food, and with seven chosen young women from the king's palace (to serve her)...after being twelve months under the regulations for the women, since this was the regular period of their beautifying, six months with oil of myrrh and six months with spices and ointments for women--when the young woman went in to the king in this way, she was given whatever she desired to take with her from the harem to the king's palace.  -Esther 2:9, 12b-13
One day, every now and then.  How incredible would that be?  

No comments:

Post a Comment