Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My Last Pregnancy

I seem to have begun a pattern of insomnia.  Which is too bad, since I am usually very, very tired.  I sleep fine for the first part of the night, and then lie awake, or semi-conscious, for some hours.  I'm already uncomfortable--I realized that now, at 9 weeks, I can't spend any time comfortably on my stomach anymore; and I'm too warm (but outside the covers is too cold); sometimes, like last night, I felt suddenly nauseous when I unfolded and sat up straight after reading.  And my brain just won't turn off.  So I lie awake.  

I have had almost zero nausea though.  For the first weeks of this pregnancy, I was sort of praying for some morning sickness, as a sign that You are knitting together a girl in me.  But then I had a 24-hour tummy bug a few weeks ago--and I am SO glad You have not granted that particular request, Father!  I would much rather be tired than nauseous.  

My skin has been perpetually broken out.  

Though I'm not nauseous, my gag reflex seems to be extra sensitive, and most times I brush my teeth I have to hold in a gag when the toothbrush goes just a little too far back.  
I am able now to feel my uterus within me, a little tug against it when I stretch my middle, such as when I kneel by Lewey's bed to say bedtime prayers.  

I often look pretty pregnant.  Which I like right now.  But I realize that when I'm 9 weeks in and look like I did at 20 weeks with Lincoln, this could be a long and uncomfortable pregnancy.  I am way out of shape, and my muscles are not prepared to easily support this baby.  I already feel a touch of sciatica in my left hip.  

Help me to make time and prioritize exercise, Father.  I know the main reason Lincoln's pregnancy was so fantastic, and almost certainly why labor was so quick and smooth, was because I started in good shape, and remained very active throughout my pregnancy.  I walked, swam, did baby mama yoga...  Now I start breathing hard pushing Lewis in the stroller up Markham Street.  

No comments:

Post a Comment