Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Have a Voice!

And I didn't realize it before yesterday's ENT appointment.  Every few days, I've been "testing," some sort of one-liner, to see if there's any vocalization happening at all.  And there's been a little bit sometimes.  But 1 1/2 weeks ago, that one-liner was enough to kill the voice, so I really hadn't pursued any speaking at all.  

The ENT used a laryngiscope to take a good look at the vocal cords themselves, and pronounced no damage done to them.  Thank You, God!  To continue the healing process, I need to speak with my voice when needed--not whisper--and continue to rest it.  No singing allowed for awhile yet (and, of course, as soon as I left that appointment I have had to remind myself many times to "stop that humming!" and "no, no singing allowed!").  Whispering contracts the vocal muscles improperly, and when whispering exclusively, bad habits can be formed that would require speech therapy to get the muscles working properly again.  Singing, too, is strenuous on already-strained cords.  But the doctor foresees no long-term damage, and said this isn't likely to result, either, in a perpetually weak voice.  Just the result of a really violent-coughing case of bronchitis.  Thank You, God!  And what's more, I shouldn't require any follow-up appointments!!  Thank You, God!!  That would be exponentially more difficult with a newborn AND a toddler, sheesh!  If my voice hasn't returned to normal within 4-6 weeks, I am very welcome to call them back to reevaluate.  But at this rate, I'm trusting that 4-6 weeks from now I'll be reading animal-noise books with Lincoln like a pro again :0) 

As a bonus, they gave me some free advice to take home to my hubby's ears, which have had stubborn fluid persisting behind the ear drums for the last couple of weeks so that he hears everything as if with large seashells over his ears, the wind whistling to drive him batty in one of them.  We've been joking about the wife who can't speak and the hubby who can't hear...

And this may well have come about in the nick of time, too: I've been having periodic contractions throughout the evening.  We may have another little Huntress boy by tomorrow :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment