Thursday, July 18, 2024

My First Children's Book

 I wracked my brain for two weeks, more and more frantic to think of SOMETHING that hadn't been done before. And finally, with 36 hours to a deadline, I had it. The assignment fell in the springtime, with all my senses already heightened to the vivid new life around me, and I wrote that story in an hour. The pictures required most of the remaining hours; I hauled around my art supplies and materials and unpacked on the nearest available surface whenever I had twenty minutes to spare.

I was a high school junior, a Creative Writing student, with a children's book to produce.

When at last I broke through the blank wall in my brain and found that story, it took up residence in my heart and has never left. I called it simply "The Dance," and my illustration materials were equally simple: construction paper, tempera paint, oil pastels...and clear packing tape. I had to seal those pastels in somehow, and I invested what felt like a lot of my money for two or three big rolls of tape to laminate my project. I remember distinctly spending back-to-back study hall and lunch periods holed up in the back of the library, chatting with a friend while I frantically/painstakingly measured, cut, applied, and pressed out the bubbles on row after row of that tape. I finished up as the bell rang for class. I handed in that labor of love, proud and excited, knowing I had made something good.

That was just the beginning.

I'm not sure if I was running out of tape or time...
Several of the pages in the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment